Just because the artwork you found at a garage sale fifteen years ago looks a little dated doesn’t mean you should toss it. Just like fashion, art styles and trends come and go with the seasons, so it’s a great idea to keep options handy when you want to update and upgrade your home. Try these tricks for making it fresh again.
- Reframe it. Even a print can look stunning with a new white mat and sleek frame. Go a little extra wide on the mat for added effect. A detail as small as the frame can change the whole look of a room.
- Lucite it. Get a plexiglass kit online and toss the frame. So. Modern. We love!!! It’s an easy way to make your space look like a million bucks.
- Paint the frame a crazy fun color. Try neon or a rich peacock blue. Going bold on the frame allows you to have fun with the art or picture inside of it. Focal points around the room are great stabilizers amongst the rest.
- Move it. Hang an average-sized piece on a smaller wall to make it look bigger. Choose strategic places where people will see the art, leaving the space feeling fresh as you move throughout.
- Hang a classic piece in a deliberately strange way: try on the edge of a wall, or way down low near the floor. Nontraditional placements will bring a twist to a classic room for all the right reasons.
- Keep groups together, hanging them over each other. We are suckers for salon-style grouping of art. It’s a great alternative to a single piece for a fun collection. Grouping up the wall has the same effect as long curtains; it draws the eye upward, making the walls seem taller than they are. Way more effective. Way more luxurious.
With some subtle switch-ups, your space will look and feel like new! You don’t have to stay stagnant with your art. Have fun with it, try out new pieces and see how the mood of the room changes because of it. Because after all, we’re a big fan of “out with the old and in with the new”.